Frequently Asked Questions
If you have additional questions please don’t hesitate to call us Monday – Friday at 888-837-9537 (8:30a.m. – 5:00p.m. ET).
Frequently Asked Questions
CIS is a company founded by collectors, so we understand that your collection is often more of an emotional investment than a financial one and that each collection is worth far more to its owner than money alone. As experts in collectibles insurance, we have been protecting valued collections since 1966—offering not just coverage, but the kind of peace of mind that standard homeowners insurance simply cannot provide. Here’s just a few reasons why you should chose CIS to insure your valuable collectibles:
- Proven and Trusted – Protecting collections since 1966, all coverage is provided by a carrier with a group rating of “A” (Excellent) by A. M. Best, the leading rating agency for the insurance industry.
- Coverage at Home and Away – We provide coverage at any scheduled location in the United States. But, that’s not all. We provide transit coverage, which protects collectible property that is temporarily away from the scheduled location (subject to policy sublimit). If you’re at a scheduled exhibition, show or display, coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit—including travel and shipping to and from the event. We also provide optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility (up to $100,000).
- Comprehensive Coverage – Coverage includes but is not limited to, accidental breakage, burglary, fire, flood (except in zones A & V), loss in the mail, theft, natural disasters, and other causes of loss unless specifically excluded from the policy.
- More Affordable Rates – Typically, you will pay less than it would cost to schedule the same items under a homeowners policy. Deductibles start at $0 for collector policies and we provide coverage for the market value of your collection for losses in excess of $50.
- Less Paperwork and Red Tape – Unlike Homeowners insurance, a schedule or appraisal is not required for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss). Individual items or sets valued at $25,000 or more must be scheduled.
- It’s Fast and Easy – Get a quote online or call our expert CIS team at 888-837-9537 (8:30 am – 5:00 pm (EST), Monday – Friday).
Like most collectors, we’re specialists. Providing collectible insurance is all we do. So we’re able to passionately focus on servicing the needs of collectors like you. Generally, if you can collect it, we can insure it. (The list of what we provide coverage for is a lot longer than what we don’t.) Some of the most popular categories we insure include comics; guns, knives and accessories; sports cards and memorabilia; stamps and toys.
The following are excluded from our coverage: Government seizure or destruction of property; war and nuclear hazards; gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing or denting; nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals; dampness or dryness of atmosphere; changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire; fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts; voluntary parting with covered property; loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf; and mysterious disappearance. This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy.
Collectibles Insurance Services was created by an avid stamp collector who realized that ordinary homeowners insurance simply couldn’t provide the coverage his rare treasures demanded. For everyday, easily replaced personal property, homeowners insurance is all most people need. But for prized possessions you may have spent a lifetime collecting, it doesn’t go nearly far enough. That’s why we offer a collection of benefits that less specialized insurance doesn’t often provide. For example:
- Homeowners coverage is typically based on the actual cash value of your collection—not its current market value.
- Homeowners can limit coverage of all the contents in your home to a percentage of your home’s total value (usually between 50% and 70%).
- It may not cover losses caused by floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes.
- Homeowners may have limited or no coverage for valuables like silver, guns, stamps, and other collectible items.
- You may be required to appraise and schedule all items individually. And new items must be reported and scheduled within 30 to 90 days of acquisition.
CIS has been protecting collectible inventory since 1966. 50 years later, we’re still providing protection for collectibles of every kind including toys; comics; stamps; sports cards and memorabilia; guns, knives and accessories; and more. We are part of Global Indemnity, a worldwide provider of specialty insurance and reinsurance products and services whose member companies are rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best, so you can be assured of our financial strength & stability.
All CIS coverage is provided by a carrier rated “A” by A. M. Best—the leading rating agency for the entire insurance industry. Collectibles Insurance Services is a Managing General Agent for member companies United National Insurance Company®, Penn-Patriot Insurance Company®, and Penn-Star Insurance Company®.
Typically, you will pay less than it would cost to schedule the same items under a Homeowners policy. Deductibles start at $0 for collector policies and we provide coverage for the market value of your collection for losses in excess of $50.
As your collection grows, your policy can be adjusted to include new items or sets in your coverage. You may select “Automatic Monthly Increase” as optional coverage to be added to your policy for new acquisitions and appreciation of your existing collection. Selecting this coverage will apply an automatic monthly increase of 1 percent in coverage, up to a maximum of $1 million.
You can expect prompt and personal claim service with CiS. As experienced specialists in collectibles, our adjusters understand their value and importance to you. That’s why, should you have a claim, they make every effort to make sure it is settled as quickly and completely as possible. Our company was started by collectors so it’s only natural that we would pay attention to your interests and needs. And that our customer service would always be geared to the collector’s point of view. We provide coverage to dealers for the market value of your inventory less a $200 deductible.
While a collection, to the collector, is priceless. In the world of insurance, every collection has a value. If you want to get a valuation of your collection, we can help. Value My Stuff is a resource many collectors find helpful in establishing a value from individual items to entire collections. It is an online appraisal company that has a team of experts, all of whom have worked for Sotheby’s, Christie’s or other leading auction houses. The company has specialists in more than 40 collecting categories. After you upload photographs and details of your item, Value My Stuff experts will email you within 48 hours a PDF report and online certificate detailing your item’s history and value.
Managing a collection can mystify some collectors. With that in mind, we have provided a few resources that we have found to be helpful and timesaving. Remember, having an inventory at the time of a claim helps you and the insurance carrier substantiate the value of the claim. When taking photos or video of your collection, be sure to capture any and all markings that authenticate the item. Keep a copy of your inventory in a secure, secondary location.
- Collectify™ – Whether storing receipts and warranties, tracking auction prices or emailing reports, Collectify offers comprehensive cataloguing software.
- Capture My Assets™ – A complete approach to documenting your collectibles, including an asset management system.
Collector Systems – A cloud-based collectibles management solution providing unlimited storage.
Contact Collectibles Insurance Services using the information below. Our office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (EST):
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Agent Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Billing Inquiries: email@example.com
Mailing Address: Collectibles Insurance Services P.O. Box 1146 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Payment Address: Collectibles Insurance Services Lockbox #4307 P.O. Box 8500 Philadelphia, PA 19178-4307