We got your back so you can do superhero stuffAssembling your collection is half the fun. We provide coverage that stretches to meet your needs.
It’s the hero at the center of the story that inspires you to collect your comic books. We get it. Collectibles Insurance Services was founded by collectors, for collectors. It’s all we do. In fact, you might say that we’re the superheroes of specialized insurance coverage for comic collections of all sizes.
But while securing that prized Golden, Silver, Bronze Age or Modern comic book likely took significant time, energy and money, your insurance coverage to protect it shouldn’t. That’s why our process is fast and easy and coverage is comprehensive and affordable. So you can get back to doing what you enjoy most – finding that next prized comic book to add to your collection.
- Accidental Breakage
- Flood (except in Zones A & V)
- Loss in the Mail
- Natural Disasters
- Other causes of loss, unless specifically excluded from the policy (see exclusions)
Coverage at home and away
- Travel – Transit coverage protects collectible property that is temporarily away from the scheduled location, subject to the policy sublimit.
- Exhibitions – If you’re at a scheduled exhibition, show or display coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit – including travel and shipping to and from the event.
- Storage Facilities – For an additional premium, we offer optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility.
More affordable rates
Typically, you will pay less than it would cost to schedule the same items under a homeowners policy.
Less paperwork and red tape
Unlike homeowners insurance, we do not require a schedule or appraisal for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss). The only exceptions are individual items or sets valued over $25,000 apiece, which would have to be scheduled.
We’re proven and trusted
We have been protecting collections like yours since 1966. And all coverage is provided by a carrier with a group rating of “A” (Excellent) by AM Best – the leading rating agency for the insurance industry.
Deductibles starting at $0
Deductibles start at $0 for collector policies. We provide coverage for the market value of your collection for losses in excess of $50. All dealer policies have a $200 deductible.
Insurance that grows with your collectibles
Collections tend to grow, so your policy can be adjusted to include any additions to your collection.
You may select “Automatic Monthly Increase” as optional coverage to be added to your policy for new acquisitions and appreciation of your existing collection. Selecting this coverage will apply an automatic monthly increase of 1% in coverage, up to a maximum of $1 million.
We provide coverage for dealers, too
If you want to protect your dealer inventory and your clients’ collections, for which you are responsible, we also offer special Dealers Insurance.
Superior customer service
Our company was started by collectors so it’s only natural that we would pay attention to your interests and needs. And that our customer service would always be geared to the collector’s point of view.
Prompt and personal claim service
As experienced specialists in collectibles, our adjusters understand their value and importance to you. That’s why, should you have a claim, they make every effort to make sure it is settled as quickly and completely as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
From Golden Age comics (including Batman No. 1 and Superman No. 1) to Silver Age comics and Bronze Age comics, comic books are among the most enjoyable collectibles around. We have insured comics collections of all sizes since 1996 (and stamps for nearly 50 years), so we know how much you value your collection. That’s why we provide equally valuable features in our coverage.
If you’re a comic book collector, you may want to check out Dreck Check. Designed with the serious collector in mind, Dreck Check is a comic book search engine for collectors and dealers. This free search engine provides real-time price guides based on the most up-to-date auction information found across the web. Another for valuation is Metropolis Collectibles. This site offers a free appraisal service provided by nationally recognized experts in comic book evaluation. The retail value of your comic book is based on desirability, relative scarcity, and historical significance.
For comic book grading, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is a leading third-party grading service. Employing a team of 20+ professional graders, multiple experts will examine each collectible and assign a grade according to a well-established and internationally accepted standard. They offer free or paid annual memberships with many benefits. Check out what CGC membership has to offer.
CIS is a company founded by collectors, so we understand that your collection is often more of an emotional investment than a financial one and that each collection is worth far more to its owner than money alone. As experts in collectibles insurance, we have been protecting valued collections since 1966—offering not just coverage, but the kind of peace of mind that standard homeowners insurance simply cannot provide. Here’s just a few reasons why you should chose CIS to insure your valuable collectibles:
- Proven and Trusted – Protecting collections since 1966, all coverage is provided by a carrier with a group rating of “A” (Excellent) by A. M. Best, the leading rating agency for the insurance industry.
- Coverage at Home and Away – We provide coverage at any scheduled location in the United States. But, that’s not all. We provide transit coverage, which protects collectible property that is temporarily away from the scheduled location (subject to policy sublimit). If you’re at a scheduled exhibition, show or display, coverage is provided for your collection up to the policy limit—including travel and shipping to and from the event. We also provide optional insurance coverage for collectibles kept in a public storage facility (up to $100,000).
- Comprehensive Coverage – Coverage includes but is not limited to, accidental breakage, burglary, fire, flood (except in zones A & V), loss in the mail, theft, natural disasters, and other causes of loss unless specifically excluded from the policy.
- More Affordable Rates – Typically, you will pay less than it would cost to schedule the same items under a homeowners policy. Deductibles start at $0 for collector policies and we provide coverage for the market value of your collection for losses in excess of $50.
- Less Paperwork and Red Tape – Unlike Homeowners insurance, a schedule or appraisal is not required for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss). Individual items or sets valued at $25,000 or more must be scheduled.
- It’s Fast and Easy – Get a quote online or call our expert CIS team at 888-837-9537 (8:30 am – 5:00 pm (EST), Monday – Friday).
Collectibles Insurance Services was created by an avid stamp collector who realized that ordinary homeowners insurance simply couldn’t provide the coverage his rare treasures demanded. For everyday, easily replaced personal property, homeowners insurance is all most people need. But for prized possessions you may have spent a lifetime collecting, it doesn’t go nearly far enough. That’s why we offer a collection of benefits that less specialized insurance doesn’t often provide. For example:
- Homeowners coverage is typically based on the actual cash value of your collection—not its current market value.
- Homeowners can limit coverage of all the contents in your home to a percentage of your home’s total value (usually between 50% and 70%).
- It may not cover losses caused by floods, hurricanes, or earthquakes.
- Homeowners may have limited or no coverage for valuables like silver, guns, stamps, and other collectible items.
- You may be required to appraise and schedule all items individually. And new items must be reported and scheduled within 30 to 90 days of acquisition.
Like most collectors, we’re specialists. Providing collectible insurance is all we do. So we’re able to passionately focus on servicing the needs of collectors like you. Generally, if you can collect it, we can insure it. (The list of what we provide coverage for is a lot longer than what we don’t.) Some of the most popular categories we insure include comics; guns, knives and accessories; sports cards and memorabilia; stamps and toys.
The following are excluded from our coverage: Government seizure or destruction of property; war and nuclear hazards; gradual deterioration such as fading, creasing or denting; nesting, infestation or discharge or release of waste products or secretions by insects, rodents or other animals; dampness or dryness of atmosphere; changes in or extremes of temperature other than fire; fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts; voluntary parting with covered property; loss or damage while being worked on by you or others working on your behalf; and mysterious disappearance. This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy.